For the nougat
1 cup of soaked cashews
pinch of salt
1 tsp date syrup
For the caramel
11 soaked dates
1 tbsp desiccated coconut
1 tbs coconut oil (not vital if you don't have it)
1 tbs honey
pinch of salt
For the chocolate covering
100g of 85% dark chocolate
1. Place the cup of dry cashews in a bowl of boiling water. Then heat the cashews in the water in a microwave for 3 minutes.
2. Start soaking the dates by covering them with boiling water. Just let them sit while you prepare the base.
3. Drain the water from the cashews and put them straight in the blender. Blitz until you get a wet clumpy consistency.
4. Add the date syrup & salt. Blitz again. The mixture should be like very very damp sand that sticks together well.
5. In a lined baking tray pat down the sticky mixture in a rectangle shape, making sure that the tops and sides are smooth. (i line my tray with cling film or foil to make it easier to get it out later)
6. Place in the freezer while you prepare the sweet caramel.
7. Drain the water from the dates and add to the blender. Add in the coconut oil & honey. You may have to blitz the dates for about 5 minutes until it is smooth. Make sure to wipe down the sides of the blender after each blitz.
8. Get the base from the freezer and spread the caramel layer on top, making sure that the sides and top are flat.
9. Place back in the freezer to harden for an hour.
10. When it has harden cut the rectangle into bars. Melt the chocolate in a microwave or over a ban marie.
11. Place melted chocolate in a small shallow flat bottomed box or tray and then dip bars in and turn to cover all sides apart from the bottom. It gets a bit messy!
12. Leave to harden in the fridge